Dr. Richard Boylan's Close Encounters Account


Richard Boylan, Ph.D.

How does a psychologist begin to talk about contact by Visitors from the stars? As I write this (February, 1993), I am still strongly influenced by the popular culture's carefully sculpted attitude of scoffing at Star Visitor contact. And, of course, I have my professional position to think about.
Then, too, the disclosure work I have done on covert weapons and operations of the "Black Budget" side of government has earned me scores of warnings from ex-military and "ex-"Intelligence types. Given the focus of the CIA and Defense Intelligence on psychological warfare, psychotronics and mind control, am I not giving them further keys to my mind by making open the intimate details of my close encounter experiences? However, to tell the truth, I am driven by a sense of mission to tell this truth and damn the consequences. It has become increasingly clear to me that this sense of mission comes from my extraterrestrial contacts. But, lest I sound like a galactic version of the Manchurian Candidate, let me affirm that I probably would have done it anyway. Telling the truth in the face of the Big Lie has always been important to me. So, here goes.
In reporting Close Encounters of the Fourth Kind (CE-IV's), I shall omit the possible, but not certain, incidents of my earlier life. Such would include an unseen, silent mystery "helicopter?" that shone an intense beam of white light down on our car and the roadside hill, as my then-girlfriend Donna and I were driving between Mokelumne Hill and San Andreas, CA on Highway 49 on a summer night in 1984.
Or the intense light that lit up my surroundings and woke me up around 4:30 a.m. in 1952, as I, age 12, slept on a Boy Scout campout in the Eastern California desert near the Nevada line. I assumed it was the light from an atomic bomb test due to go off before dawn that morning at the Nevada Test Site. So I groggily went back to sleep, only to be reawakened about an hour later by the flashbulb-bright lightburst of an actual atom bomb, complete with delayed faint rumble sound from the East. I remember wondering puzzledly about "two" test shots so close together, when normally they are spaced weeks apart.
Leaving aside the unclear incidents, I will concentrate on what is certain. My sure Close Encounters are two, plus some "minor" incidents.
My first sure Close Encounter took place from about 11:20 p.m., April 12, until 12:20 a.m., April 13, 1992. It was with Councillor Mary~Miriam of Altimar-3 a on a lonely stretch of U.S. Highway 180 in southern New Mexico.
The second Close Encounter occurred along an equally lonely stretch of Nevada State Highway 375 about 100 miles north of Las Vegas on the night of November 30, 1992. Both encounters took place, perhaps not coincidentally, while I was engaged in covert reconnoitering of areas having classified UFO/Star Wars bases.
To put my first Close Encounter into perspective, the reader should know that this CE-IV took place on the fifth day of an intensive reconnaissance tour I made of secret UFO bases, Star Wars weapons labs, and Black Budget test ranges of the U.S. Southwest. I made this 'Grand Tour' after four months of intense reading up on the latest information on these topics. My intensity came from some source outside of my usual curiosity.
During the portion of the tour before I had my close encounter, I had already reconnoitered: [cf. footnote 1] a secret, undeclared missile battery recessed into the mountain ridge east of Deep Springs, CA and protecting the western approaches to sensitive installations in mid-Nevada: Department of Energy's secret Tonopah (Star Wars weapons) Test Range; the Above-Top-Secret Area 51 and Area S-4 bases where I actually saw the U.S. flying its own human-manufactured flying saucers; the anomalous support facilities to the Archuleta Mesa installation near Dulce, NM, where multiple UFO sightings and cattle mutilations have been reported; the Los Alamos National Laboratories' anti-matter and biological weapons, and extraterrestrial-biology research facilities; the Sandia National Laboratories at Kirtland Air Force Base, Albuquerque where I discovered controlled, self-sustaining, compact, magnetically-contained nuclear fusion available as a powerplant or source of SDI weapon energy, and 100-trillion-volt electro- magnetic-pulse weapons development; the National Solar Observatory, classified UMBRA, at Sunspot, NM where USAF scientists research among other things spaceflight effects of geomagnetics; and the adjacent National Security Agency's ELMINT Sacramento Peak Frequency Surveillance Station (under cover of U.S. Army) which monitors electromagnetic intelligence around the White Sands Missile Range, Holloman Air Force Base and NASA's secret Johnson Space City complex behind White Sands National Monument.
After my personal Star Visitors encounter, I completed, as scheduled, my reconnaissance of: the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (Datil, NM), (where I discovered that the government is secretly sending and receiving communication signals from intelligent sources in space); secret underground tunnels being prepared near the site of what was supposed to be the Very Large Array radiotelescope facility (Pietown, NM); and Northrop's highly-classified U.S. flying saucer manufacturing works near Lancaster in the Tehachapi Mountains, where I saw brief test flights of the same U.S. saucers I saw extensively flown above Area 51, Nevada.
(For full details on the Grand Tour see: www.drboylan.com/grantour2.html )
Thus, it was in the context of this eye-opening and dangerous reconnoiter, uncovering secrets of the Southwest's most exotic, classified and heavily-guarded UFO and Star Wars bases, that I was intercepted halfway through by Star Visitors.
The Star Nations have a vital interest in this governmental technological and weapons-oriented build-up response to the secret the government has suppressed for 80 years: that contact with Star Visitors is a fact. The Star Visitors vital interest is that these Star Wars weapons have been prepared for use against them, and are being targeted on them.
Before I began that April, 1992 'Grand Tour', I was shaken from my previously neutral-to-favorable stance on Star Visitors to a rather fearful and wary stance, due to having just read David Jacobs' fear-based book, Secret Life, which I later determined was deliberately deceptive and propaganda-oriented. In this book Jacobs purports to present investigatory cases portraying the Star Visitors as uniformly cruel, predatory, rapacious, unfeeling, intrusive kidnappers and rapists, who continually prowl about invading the minds and body cavities of their human victims, terrorizing them, and looking for ovum and sperm samples so they can breed horrible hybrid monsters.
> After my Close Encounter the night of April 12, I noticed the very next morning a dramatic return to the way I had felt about Star Visitors before reading Jacobs's scare book. I once more felt more peaceful and composed about the Visitors as I completed the rest of my mind-blowing reconnoiter of what "our" Government is up to. My feeling was, (and is), so what if people from another star system come here to visit. It's a big universe.
Later on I determined that Jacobs's "research" book was a detectably false distortion of the facts. And I learned from author Karla Turner that he had discarded cases which did not fit his preconceived notions, thus "cooking" his "findings". [footnote 2]. I also heard from experiencers who had consulted him that he distorted what they told him so that they barely recognized their account when he reworked it in his book.
Let me now relate to you what happened in New Mexico, as I had my first close extraterrestrial encounter. Part of what took place is blocked from complete recall. This sometimes happens to CE-IV experiencers, due to either the extraordinary context in which such encounters occur, or due to a post-hypnotic suggestion instilled by the Star Visitors that the person will not recall all the details until a later, better time. Additionally, sometimes what the Star Visitors communicateto a given experiencer is such sensitive information that it could put the experiencer at risk of severe governmental harassment and harm if they recalled the information too early. Thus I will present all that I could recall, (which seems to be most of what happened.)
On April 12, 1992, after leaving Alamogordo, New Mexico, I proceeded west on Interstate 10 towards Deming, NM in my S-10 Chevy Blazer. I had my CB radio on, listening to and talking with truckers along the way for road conditions. At Deming I turned off onto U.S. 180, heading northwest towards my destination for the night, a campground in Gila National Forest. Highway U.S. 180 is a two-lane blacktop road that goes in an almost straight line for 53 miles between Deming and Silver City, NM through absolutely empty and featureless Sonoran scrub desert. It's mostly flat, with an occasional gentle rise. This night had maybe three cars on it besides mine the entire length of that drive.

When I left Interstate 10 at Deming, it was just after 11 p.m. on a cloudless and starry night in the pitch-black desert. As I pulled away from the Interstate, the CB audio traffic died out due to the increasing distance. I was getting weary from driving all day but alert enough to safely complete my drive to the campground. I estimated I would arrive by 12:30 a.m.
As I settled in to this final leg of a long day's drive, I was aware that the highway rose gently after about 15 miles. It was at about 11:20 p.m. I vaguely noticed a patch of whiteness shining in the moonlight on a rise over to the left, about 200 yards off the road. I remember vaguely considering it as a patch of snow. (Later I realized that there could not be snow at this lowest part of the southernmost region of the New Mexico desert; I had not seen snow on the ground since traveling in the mountains west of Taos, some 400 miles north and much higher.) About this time I heard a loud voice I presumed came from my CB, saying in perfect imitation of an Arkansas twang, "Watch out for the smoke!" (or "Smokey," i.e., state trooper; I'm not sure which word was used). The voice seemed to come from behind my left ear. (Later, reflecting that my CB speaker was mounted in front of me below my dashboard, slightly to the right, I realized it wasn't the CB talking!)
At first I figured that some trucker ahead of me on Highway 180 was warning anyone about a State Trooper he had spotted. So I got on the CB and asked "Where is the Smokey?" I was surprised when I got no answer. This is the only time in my experience that a CB-er failed to provide location information to follow up on his State Trooper warning. The strangeness had only begun.
Almost at once I saw what looked like a huge luminous cloud of what looked like smoke stretching across the highway from the left-most part of the rise to the right-most part and extending clear up to the sky: a solid opaque curtain across the highway. I presumed that it was my bad luck to be running across a forest fire. So I went back on the CB to ask anyone out there, "Where's the fire? Does anyone know about the fire on 180?" Again, it was spooky. No answer from "Arkansas Twang" or anyone else. I started to broadcast again, then gave up lamely, since I had just about come up on the edge of the presumed smokecloud. I cursed my luck; and rapidly calculated what a long detour I would have to drive if this fire blocked the highway, versus the risk of plowing through the smoke blindly, hoping it was just a hundred feet thick or so and I could break through to the other side and complete my journey.
I drove into the "smoke", taking my foot off the gas to slow down in case I didn't pop through the other side quickly. I didn't. Not for an hour.

The "smoke" seemed to be coming off the hillside to the left of me. I couldn't see the road, the center line or anything. So I came to a stop. (Later, in hypnotic recall, I noted that there were no trees or brush burning, no blackened or charred chapparal, and that the "smoke" had no odor! (what wildfire has no odor?) Nor was this fog, not in the Springtime bone-dry Sonoran desert with the air temperature nowhere near any "dewpoint.") I sat defeated in my car, stopped in the right lane of U.S. 180 in the middle of nowhere. The grayish-white "smoke" did not dissipate. So I got out, walked across the road to the left shoulder, towards where the ground rose slightly up, disoriented in the midst of the "cloud". I got the impression of low scrub pinon pines spaced apart in the "cloud". I stepped across a little ditch at the edge of the road and walked towards these "pinon pines," then stopped, unable to see. (I presumed they were pinon pines there, but a friend who later re-drove that road in daylight told me there were none on that stretch.)
Then I went into a state of paralysis. I could not move my body. I sensed the approach of two persons, who got on either side of me. Each one of them placed a firm grip on my forearms. I cannot recall viewing them. The funny thing about their hands was that theirs was a three-fingered grip. Their fingers were very long, and didn't feel like human fingers. They did not have articulated bones, but felt sort of like a continuous cartilage inside with a padded fleshy exterior. The grip consisted of two fingers on top of my forearm and one finger underneath. The fingers were not much wider than human ones but quite long. And their grip was like a vise. It was clear I was going with them. I had no better idea of what to do, anyway.
I was led forward and to the left, in the general direction of what I had presumed was the "snowpatch" gleaming in the moonlight that I had seen earlier. Soon we arrived at what turned out to be a landed metallic vehicle. I stopped about five feet in front of the midpoint of its long side. It was shaped like a flattened arch, with rounded ends. The bottom seemed more flat, but that may be because it was partially sunk into the sand. It was a metallic color, about the color of Airstream trailers, only not so bright. The length I would estimate at 35-50 feet and the height at midpoint at 10-12 feet. A psychic resource person I have consulted with, who has remote viewing capability, determined that the craft had been in distress and had made a hard landing, and that one of the three crewmen was hurt.
A rectangular opening appeared in the side of the craft. Next thing, I remember sitting back in a chair in a room inside the craft, feeling spacey and numb, and gradually realizing that I was alone; they had left. The lighting in there was subdued. The air inside was of sort of a neutral temperature, not sharply cold like the desert night air. It smelled stale, like the recycled air you encounter in an airliner during a transcontinental flight.
After a while they came back. The one who had the stronger grip when we encountered, the one on my right, felt like a male. As he came back in, I had a quick glimpse of his face. He had a roundish oval face with two large, horizontally-ovoid black eyes that did not slant or wrap around the side the way a Zeta's does. These beings had no irises or pupils, just black all the way across the eye. I did not notice a nose, and got more of an impression than a view of a mouth. I did not clearly see, but got the impression of, a thin torso and limbs. His height I would estimate at five feet. He seemed placid, matter-of-fact.
He was definitely not human, but unmistakably an intelligent lifeform. The other Star Visitor had had a gentler, yet firm, grip on my left forearm when we first had our encounter. The feeling was of a lighter, gentler person, possibly a female.
I was escorted bythe male into another room, which was also dimly lit, and placed in a reclining position, something like the posture in a dentist's or astronaut's chair. I felt a buzzing, stimulating, resonating sensation in an inverted-triangular area that is defined by the tops of my eyebrows and the bridge of my nose. The sensation was focussed about a quarter-inch inward from skin surface. (This is a sensation I would become quite familiar with in the days and months ahead. It has heralded and accompanied subsequent Star Visitor contact, and some anomalous occurrences that are presumably their handiwork.)
I then experienced a sense of pressure in my nose, as if a small object was being introduced into my nasal passages or even a little higher. (Afterwards for four or five days I had a sense of persisting light pressure there, along with a feeling of buzzy resonance and generalized pressure in my head that was almost like a headache, but not quite.)
Next I felt a sensation of the release of restraints around my ankles; not physical restraints, but more of an immaterial, force-field kind. I understood that the Star Visitors were done, and I was free to go. I got up.
The next memory segment I remember is being outside the craft in the night floating horizontally towards my vehicle. After that, I became aware of being behind the wheel, driving below the speed limit, the "smoke" dissipating, and then I'm breaking out of the "smokecloud". I'm resuming my drive up U.S. 180 towards the Gila National Forest campground, where I then camped for the rest of the night.

The next morning, when I woke up, I had no memory of my Close Encounter, just of the strange occurrence of the smoke cloud. (It was not until later hypnosis that the details I have just related surfaced in my memory.) But I did notice four odd things. I had a strange fullness and pressure feeling in my upper nasal passage area and a dull almost-headache: these are symptoms I had never had before. I wrote it off then to fatigue.
As I put on my socks, I also noted that there were two tiny scoop marks side-by-side on top of my right great toe, each like a shallow crater that you could rest a BB in. I was startled, because I am no stranger to the body-marks literature associated with encounters with the Star Visitor. This literature describes scoop marks from the Visitors' sampling of surface skin tissue. But denial set in, and I said to myself, "Nah, that can't be that!"
Then I reflected that I had arrived at the campground at least an hour after my estimated time. And on the open roads of New Mexico, where a minute can equal a mile, I had become quite precise at calculating traveling time. There had been missing time.
Fourthly, I noticed, with curiosity, that overnight my attitude towards the Star Visitors had returned to the calm accepting attitude I had previously had. Gone was the gripping fear that I had carried since having just finished reading David Jacobs's lurid scare book. Instead I noticed that a gentle live-and-let-live attitude had returned and settled in. And I began feeling sorry for the Star Visitors, as I considered the monumental Star Wars weaponry crash program aimed at them that I had just seen for myself on this trip.
I also reflected on my own research. Experiencer cases I had interviewed found the Star Visitors to be, after the human got over her/his initial startle, generally caring, gentle while firm, and concerned for such important values as ecology, social justice, childhood education, consciousness advancement, and a spiritual/metaphysical focus.
I noted that the close-encounter experiencers I worked with had stated that while some gynecological/urological procedures did seem oriented towards retrieving samples of reproductive material, in many other instances other Star Visitor medical procedures were oriented towards: cures of diseases, genetic manipulation of ovaries or an in-place fetus to create enhanced capabilities in the fetus (future offspring) of the experiencer, or the returning of an genetically-upgraded conceptus to the mother for completion of childbearing and child-rearing. It struck me how distorted and misleading the reports of David Jacobs and Budd Hopkins were, with their "Grey Menace" false tales. Instead, I found it appropriate to think like the anthropologist I had been trained to be: what we have here is a contact between civilizations.
I also felt dedicated to the goal that this Star Visitor contact with Earth not end up in a situation like in the movie Cool Hand Luke, where the sadistic cracker Warden drawls: "What we have here is a failure to communicate."
So, a little suspicion about that smoke-cloud night began to curl inside my head. But I discounted it, saying to myself that the dramatic Star Wars and antigravity craft discoveries I had seen were making me tend to overdramatize these anomalies.
It was only after I returned home from the entire trip, and had nasal pressure, quasi-headaches, and uncharacteristic moodiness and emotional unsettledness persisted for five days, that I reviewed everything, and realized that these, too, were common psychological aftermath signs of a Close Encounter repressed from conscious memory. At that point I made room for the possibility that I had actually had a close encounter.

I consulted a hypnotist-psychologist and a psychic remote-viewer to explore that possibility. When the hypnotist had me smell the "smoke" and I noticed no odor, that was the final straw that crumbled my denial. All that emerged from sessions with these experts is what I have outlined above.

Since this first Close Encounter, my life has gone differently. Like many other experiencers, I have experienced an acquisition of certain psychic abilities, or perhaps an enhancement of latent abilities. Such things as the telephone ringing and often I pretty much know who is on the other end. Or the ability to "feel" around corners: I'll drive near an ATM carport without being able to see into it and "know" whether there's a car in line already or it's clear. Or I'll often have a sense of whether there are any messages on my answering machine or not before I come in and look. I'll get a hunch or premonition when the Star Visitors are coming, or going to do some action which reveals their handiwork, and then that turns out to be right.
On the physical side, I have a few times awakened with little blood spots in my nose, (signs of a Star Visitor nasal-entry procedures), and I never used to get bloody noses. And I sometimes note strange marks, like a tiny straight-line healed cut, as a laser would make, that wasn't there the night before. This is coupled with a sense that I had been visited the night before.
Or I might be exhausted by the pressures of juggling family, marriage, and job as a clinical psychologist and counseling hypnotherapist, and my research and publication work on the Star Visitor Presence phenomenon, and I'll go to bed exhausted, later have a sense of having had a Star Visitor intervention, and wake up brimming with energy and ready to take on some more daily challenges.
On the astronomy front, during the late Summer through Winter of 1992 an intensely-glowing object has appeared stationary over the sky of Sacramento on several nights per week for hours at a time. Nicknamed by me "The Twinkler", the object frequently strobes beautiful different-colored lights of red, teal, yellow, and bluish white, at a rate of about six cycles per second. Over the months it took a picket position at the different cardinal points of the compass, sometimes moving slightly, and generally shining from an hour after sunset until midnight, but varying in its "schedule." Other family members and experiencers have seen the same object, although it was never reported in the newspaper. (Of course.)
And I've had a couple of subtle micro-encounters. Once, when I was going out the front door at night on impulse, I heard and saw a rustling and rapid movement in the hedges on the right by the front door, which then "jumped" across in front of me and started clambering up on top of the hedges on my left that extend all along the side of the house. It was as though something heavy and large, like an invisible big chimpanzee, raced across in front of me and onto and along the six-foot-high hedges. I know that the Star Visitors can either cloak themselves in invisibility, or create in the mind of the human viewer a substitute visualization for themselves. And I know we don't keep any invisible chimpanzees as pets.
On another occasion, as I was standing in the doorway of the bathroom in our bedroom, I glanced over towards the doorway to the hall, and got a quick glimpse of the back half of a figure in white turning around and exiting the doorway down the hall. I called out "Lee," thinking it was my wife. There was no answer. I walked over to the hallway and looked down and saw no one. I walked down to the kitchen, unsuccessfully. Finally I found her in the bathroom at the other end of the house. I asked her if she had just been down to the bedroom, but she had been in the far bathroom for a while. All the outside doors were locked. No one else was home that night. At least no one human was.
As far as mind effect, I sometimes wake up with information or "advanced" awarenesses or intuitions that I didn't have before. Such information may have to do with "knowing" future events, or scientific principles I have never studied. Or what the Government's next strategy was going to be vis-a-vis the Cover-Up of Star Visitor contact. Eerily, some one or two others of the experiencers I am in contact with might get the same information around the same day or week. To use a computer phrase, it's like someone downloaded a disc full of data onto my hard drive while I slept. But daytime intuitions come, too. And I have definitely had a successive series of strong "mission" feelings. For example, to overcome, and to encourage other experiencers to overcome, the shame factor in coming out of the closet about having Star Visitor contact. Or to go public with the Shadow Government's murderous Star Wars agenda against the Star Visitors.
On the spiritual side, I have experienced, since researching Star Visitor encounters, a gradual enhancement of my pre-existing attraction to shamanism and Native American spirituality. It appears that the connection is the emphasis by both Native American medicine persons and the Star Visitors on a reverence for the Earth as a precious organism inextricably interwoven with our own life processes, and that of all our living relations (the animal, fish, bird, plant, microbial, etc., kingdoms).
Now I will share my second major Close Encounter experiences. This took place on the night of November 30, 1992, while some other experiencers and I were attending the Las Vegas International UFO Congress as invited speakers. Before I went to the Congress, I had a strong pull to revisit the Nevada Test Site-Nellis AFB Gunnery Range-Tonopah Test Range-Areas 51 and S-4 complex. This off-limits Federal complex lies from 30 to 100 miles northwest of Las Vegas. Between speaking Monday afternoon on my research on Star Visitor encounters and my talk Tuesday morning on the Grand Tour of secret UFO and Star Wars bases I had completed in April, the pull to go visit Area 51 became irresistible, despite the obvious danger. The UFO Congress had numerous Intelligence agency operatives in attendance, and in view of my published exposes of Area 51's activity, and the pattern of mail intercept, telephone monitoring, and dirty tricks by Agency types I had experienced, it was clear that any movement I made towards Area 51 would be under surveillance. I also "got" the message that there would be an unfriendly human "welcoming" committee waiting at Area 51, if I tried to repeat my near-penetration of the Reservation boundary, as I had done in April.
Originally, a couple of other experiencers and I were going to reconnoiter Area 51 together. But around dinnertime one felt poorly, and another volunteered to stay behind and look after her. My intention was to take the shortest route to Area 51, via I-15 and U.S. 93. However, as I came to a junction on I-15, I took the exit for U.S. 95, although I would swear I read "U.S. 93." (This kind of "accidental" re-routing has been noted by many experiencers, when the Star Visitors want you to go a different route for a special reason.) Thus I took the west-side route around the Nevada Test Site, which took me the long way around that federal restricted complex. I drove, having binoculars handy, and watching for any anomalies.
As I proceeded north of Scotty's Junction on U.S. 95, I noted that the Department of Energy's [SDI] Tonopah Test Range was to the right, (although the official entrance was on U.S. 6 well up ahead). Soon after, an odd light rose up from above the ridgeline there, and descend to nearer the base of the Cactus Range, and proceed along parallel with my car, but a mile or two to the right. After five minutes the light no longer could be seen. At Tonopah, I turned east onto U.S. 6 and proceeded along the northern boundary of the Nevada Test Site (NTS). After passing by the entrance to the Tonopah Test Range, I noticed that road traffic became extremely sparse, almost nonexistent. It was about then that I noticed a car about a mile behind mine that never caught up with mine nor dropped behind. This was unusual, because I was travelling at a good clip in the essentially State Trooper-free stretches around the NV Test Site. And in my broad experience in open-spaces driving, anyone going fast enough from behind to catch up within sight was usually going fast enough to proceed to pass me before long. They don't slow down from their previous rate and straggle behind at an exact pacing speed, unless it's a State Trooper. This turned out to be no State Trooper.
I watched the pacing car for about a half-hour to be sure I had the situation correctly sized up, then thought to myself, "I think I'm being followed." At the time, I suspected it might be some military/ Intelligence surveillance unit. I lost sight of the car as I came to the Warm Springs Junction, and I turned onto State 375.
My plan was to first stop at the Little A'Le'Inn in Rachel, 62 miles ahead, then proceed another 22 miles to the Area 51 main entrance road. On this stretch I began to notice that the "car" behind me was doing strange things. As it paced a little closer behind, about a half-mile, its "headlights" could be more distinctly seen, as a single round light, as big and bright as a tight cluster of five halogen headlights on high beam would be. At times it would take short-cuts when the road curved, proceeding instead in a straight-line "short-cut" across the desert at sagebrush-height level, and rejoining the road after the curve. At other times a second, small purplish glowing orb would accompany it, travelling parallel about 150 yards to the south, also at sagebrush level. The second orb would disappear after a while, then reappear. I would look in the rear-view mirror and occasionally quickly turn my head completely around to verify these "impossible" things. I knew then that it wasn't the CIA. :-) I then got the feeling that the Star Visitors were giving me an escort.
I had expected the Little A'Le'Inn to be open, but it turned out dark. As a result I raced past it unawares, when suddenly a giant pure-white 'jackrabbit' the size of a collie loped across the highway just in front of my car, at an almost cartoonish gait. I slammed on the brakes and swerved to the right to avoid hitting it. As I did my gaze went to the right and I noticed the darkened Little A'Le'Inn, which otherwise I would have gone past and missed, since it was dark desert without landmarks. I pulled in to this bar and cafe, which serves the lower-echelon Air Force employees at Area 51, and is a veritable museum of UFO and Alien pictures and Area 51 USAF lore and insignia patches. The Inn was closed, so I peered through its windows at the displays inside. Suddenly, a 'German Shepherd' appeared from around behind the cafe. I feared it was an aggressive watchdog, such as are common in remote Nevada establishments, although I had not previously seen a dog at the Little A'Le'Inn. To my surprise this dog was unusually friendly and greeted me like old friends, putting its head against and nuzzling me, begging for a pet. I walked out to the highway and saw my "escort" vehicle stopped about a quarter-mile behind where I had parked. By a nearby highway streetlight I could see what was there. There was no car frame behind a set of headlights, but an extremely bright flattish orb, as big and bright as if the front end of a semi truck were one huge intense headlight. So, a the "car" had shape-shited into huge tall thin radiantly-bright vertical disc. I said to myself how the improbable rabbit had saved me from missing the Little A'Le'Inn. I wondered whether it, and perhaps the super-friendly guard dog, were also shape-shifter Star Visitors, up close and personal.
I continued towards Area 51, turning in at the famous Groom Lake dirt-road entranceway, (which no longer had the infamous black mailbox as a landmark.) My sense of danger increased, as I drove a few hundred feet down the road. I "felt" that the trigger-happy Wackenhut security guards I had run afoul of in April [Footnote 1} were out there just waiting for another crack at me. I extinguished my headlights, and stopped.
Right after I parked, the anomalous escort "car"/mega-light came down the highway, pulled into Groom Lake Road, advanced to about three hundred feet behind me, now displaying two conventional headlights. After a momentary pause, it backed up like a shot, (at an extraordinary speed for reverse gear in the pitch black night), turned around, and drove west on 375 back the way it came. (It thus could give the Area 51 guards from a distance the impression that the "intruder" car (me) had changed its mind about trying to go down the Area 51 road, had backed up, and then was returning from where it had come. I subsequently reflected that that may well have been the Star Visitors' purpose in their otherwise inexplicable maneuver, and was the reason why I was not harassed, despite the extreme security around the Area 51 perimeter.
I got out and determined that no U.S.-made flying saucers were doing practice flights that night. Then I did a Native American prayer and pipe ceremony, asking Tunkashila (Great Spirit), Maka Unce, and the Spirit of the Four Directions for protection. I also prayed that the death karma emanating from the weaponry programs at Areas 51 and S-4 be cancelled. I was nervous about tarrying any longer because of the guards. As I started the car to leave, the "escort light" shone at my car from a new position, two miles ahead and a half-mile to the right of the Area 51 road. I felt it had been there as a protector, and became lit to show its agreement that I depart.
I then proceeded east on Highway 375 towards U.S. 93, to complete the loop back into Las Vegas the shoirter way. No longer was the "escort light" behind me. But soon it started to reappear about a mile ahead of me. I was going through winding road and canyons and would lose sight of it. Then a vehicle would approach from the general area where the light was last seen and drive past. I assumed that I had been mistaken about the bright light way up ahead being my UFO escort, because soon a vehicle would come from where I had seen the light. I tried to avoid making anything special out of that light. Then more anomalies started happening.
I thought I saw a passing vehicle which looked like it was a panel truck. Then I noticed a tanker truck go by. Gradually it dawned on me how much "traffic" was developing all of a sudden on this deserted stretch of highway. I then began to entertain the notion that the Stsr Visitors could be imposing mental visualizations of a "panel van" or a "truck" on me to disguise what their craft really looked like. Only they did not bother to impose the identical visualization every time. I also realized that that means they're 'driving' by me so close I could reach my arm out and touch the "vehicle" (disguised UFO).

I then got to a straight stretch of highway where I could see many miles ahead. I noticed a bright light a mile ahead get closer, go out, and reappear as two headlights, and when closer, as a complete vehicle. At first, I attributed the single Light going out to a dip in the road, but when I got to a flat stretch with no dips, it became evident that the single Light extinguished itself, and reilluminated as two headlights. Once, it manifested as two tandem sets of headlights, one right on the tail of the other, but by the time the pair of twin lights got near me, only one vehicle with one set of headlights came by. Also, after each vehicle went by, its "tail lights" only stayed on for a quarter-mile then disappeared, long before a curve or dip in the road could explain their disappearance from sight. On this stretch there are no side roads and nowhere to go off-highway. I smiled, realizing that the Star Visitors were playing their favorite game with me, "Are You Paying Attention?" Then the Light/UFO disappeared from in front of me, but soon reappeared behind me, no longer at road-level, but at about 150 feet altitude, and closing fast on me. I was at this point about adjacent to the supersecret Coyote Alpha Range, northeast of Area 51. I "felt" intensely the UFO's intent to make contact, and asked myself, "Are you ready for a close encounter?"
At first I felt a little afraid, just a little nervous, but excited at the same time. After a minute I said, "Sure, why not?" However, the approaching light somehow disappeared, although I do not remember seeing it disappearing.
After this, I continued driving, soon turning down U.S. 93 towards I-15 and Las Vegas. Driving south on U.S. 93, I had a rest from the "Lights'" hide-and-go-seek games for awhile. As I drew near to the junction with I-15, my Star Visitor road companions had one more surprise for me. (Here again is another example of how the Star Visitors let you know in other ways that they are around.)
A big bright light appeared about 1-3/4 miles in front of me, stationary at about 1000 feet above the desert, about 300 yards to the left of U.S. 93. I was coming down a grade and had a long, sweeping, unbroken view of the entire desert for miles. The Light then started to descend vertically until it reached the level of the sagebrush tops, then moved horizontally to my right until it lined up with the oncoming lane of U.S. 93, then began moving at hihway speed towards me as a large single Light at surface level on the highway. At about one mile ahead of me, it changed in an instant to two conventional headlight beams, then some moments later drove past me looking like a late-model passenger car! The Star Visitors had given me a demonstration of exactly the sequence of how they disguise a UFO and shape-shift it into a conventional Earth object like a car.
I completed the return leg on I-15 to Las Vegas. The bright Light soon reappeared about a mile behind my car in my lane, as a single bright Light. Other traffic was behind it, and passed it up without making lane changes, seemingly not noticing that it was there. The Light followed me at highway level on I-15 all the way through Las Vegas until I took the offramp near my hotel on the far side of town.

That night I saw a swarm of "fireflies" in my bedroom and had the very strong sense of Star Visitor presence. The next morning I had some little bloody spots in my nose.
These contacts have done what I thought I had no more capacity left for: caused another quantum leap in my sense of wonder.

Footnote 1: See Boylan, R., "The Grand Tour - Earth Saucers and Star Wars", in Extraterrestrial Contact and Human Responses, desktop publishing, Sacramento, 1992; also, Boylan, R., "Touring Nevada's 'Outer Limits'", UFO Magazine, 7:6, 1992; Boylan, R., "Secret 'Saucer' Sites", MUFON Journal, 292, August, 1992.
Footnote 2: Personal communication, Las Vegas UFO Congress, November 30, 1992.

(c) 1993; (updated 6/23) Richard J. Boylan, Ph.D.

Richard Boylan, Ph.D.